Sunday, January 10, 2016

Ktichen Sink Calzone Saves Saturday Night Pie Night

In preparing for the first ever Clark County Cookbook Club, I've been loading up on tips and tricks from the "Smitten Kitchen." 

After spending two hours at "Disney's Frozen on Ice," and 90 minutes in Saturday night Strip traffic, I wasn't feeling like a princess pizza or salad, which is what we'd planned.  But then I had an inspired moment!



I've been reading Deb Perelman's latest cookbook (yes, people do that, read cookbooks for their flavorful content, and her's is stuffed with humorous anecdotes). She has a tips and trick section that is actually quite good, even for someone with years of amateur cooking experience under their belt.

Standing in front of the fridge, hand on hip, taste buds bored, I spotted a tub of ricotta in the back. I'd bought it on sale for 3/4 the regular price and put a few in the freezer. This poor guy was meant to be used around New Year's, but was pushed to the back due to a Pinterest baking binge.

I pulled all the usual suspects for pizza making from each bin and corner of the fridge - pepperoni, leftover canned mushrooms, the last leaves of spinach from the Costco crate I like to buy and a few other things. 
Not pictured, a gorgeous, thick sauce perfect for dipping. We always have a cup of sauce left over, which we save until it begs us to throw it away. Loved that I used so many orphaned ingredients for our Kitchen Sink Calzone. And now I can see the back of my fridge!


Turned out great, even with a wheat crust dough that I wobbled on about the bake temp. I didn't add an egg, but did put a swipe of garlic infused olive oil over the top with a dusting of Parmesan while it was cooking. Took only a few minutes and we can stuff it with anything. It's our Kitchen Sink Calzone.

No comments:

Post a Comment